Author Topic: LEGO traffic lights using LEDs  (Read 8706 times)

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Dublin
This is a short video of some traffic lights I made with a microprocessor, a small bit of code and some LEDs. Took a little modding some parts with the trusty drill.

Lights change around 0:15 seconds so you have to wait or fast forward a bit to see the change.

LEGO traffic lights video

Offline Daragh

Great idea, looks very neat.

There seems to be a problem with the video link.

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
The link works for me but the picture is not a video, its just a picture that should jump to Youtube when you click on it.

Edit - Apologies, I found the problem, Video was set as 'Private' - should be working now.

Offline Legoman2018

How do u do that with the light

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
You need to buy a microprocessor (I used an Arduino) and you'll need some resistors, micro LEDs, fine wire and solder and with a drill and soldering iron. A breadboard recommended to get the circuit working before you solder it all together.

You can code a basic programme on the processor that will set the LED sequence. This you do on a computer and with the right USB cable you download the file to the mircoprocessor.

Here was what it looked like before it was put inside the LEGO.

Microprocessor stored away under the road but you could also make a service box on the footpath or place it in a nearby building with wires hidden (1x1 technic brick with hole useful for 'cabling' ducts).

Drill was used to drill a small hole in the stud on a 2x2 jumper plate which fixes the traffic light to the footpath and to make holes in 2 of the 3 1x1 bricks with stud on one side which house the LEDs.

lego