Author Topic: Port and docklands  (Read 4565 times)

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Dublin
The King Noel Port, in memory of my late brother who got the Intercoastal Seaport 6541 set for Christmas when he was 7 and it always remained one of his favorites. Needless to say, he was also a Lego king in his playing days. The port consists of 2 grey cranes (one shown) based on the classic yellow crane from the set and three red ship-to-shore cranes.

The container ship uses a standard Lego ship hull which is widened and extended by about twice the length. The sea effect is thanks to about 5000 and counting 1x2 trans light blue tiles built on a dark blue grey plate base.

Still needing to do is the STS gantry crane mechanisms and cabins for the operator, additional cargo trucks and a fishing trawler which will dock at the grey cranes.

The docklands attach directly to the rear of the red cranes. Bit still to do here but mainly the yellow intermodal crane for transferring containers from trains to trucks to docks.

In general, most of the little details are to come, the customary forklift truck and hard working minifigures. The build is modular but more like a jigsaw rather so the sections slot together and are all different irregular sizes. The warehouse roof, ship roof and port security hut roof all come off so there is scope to detail their interiors someday if the port authority budget allows.

Flickr album

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Limerick
Seriously massive layout. Lots of product...I mean products could e moved through here. Minifig faces don't lend to drug use look and with all the police lego make good luck with doing anything illegal.

Offline Tom a.k.a. eastawat

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Kildare
Very nice David, can't wait to see it integrated with the rest of the city!

Offline Patrick

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Cork
Love it.  Can't wait to see it in the brick.  A post pandemic Lug meetup or display.  I would imagine the thumbs are in bits after 5000 trans 1X2's though ...

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
Thanks guys.

Here are photos with some developments, mainly the perimeter walls are nearly complete, a forklift truck has been rustled up and the intermodal crane is more or less done.

King Noel Docklands by David D, on Flickr

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
Security but no cameras ,my bad guys like that!

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
Security but no cameras ,my bad guys like that!

In the photos there are 4 cameras! Good to know the criminals can't see them though. I have added 4 more so now there are 8 :D

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
Scanning .......for a friend ! Good thing about lego roads is they can be lifted, may be a new clandestine entry point!

Offline Taylorbrick

• Moc builder of fire vehicles/stations.
  • County: Down
What a lovely why to honour the life of your brother, the building has definitely rubbed off on you.
I love the details, design of the harbour, storage areas.

Offline Aidan

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Cork
Absolutely savage.  Well built Dave