Author Topic: LAN - LEGO wants your (digital) models  (Read 4724 times)

Offline lisaloveslego

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Wexford
Hi Everyone,

Sharing this request from the LAN (LEGO Ambassadors Network)
The I below is Alyssa Harrington from the LEGO Community Team:

Hi everyone! 👋 I have a really unique opportunity for you. LEGO Masters US is looking to populate their Fox LEGO Masters tour with fan designed models.

I’m attaching a PDF with models we're looking to feature (ex: a clock, cupcakes, a mug, etc). If you have original ideas, we're open to that too!

Visitors to the tour will be able to pose in a room with props designed by you!
Please submit your models in whatever 3D format you find most comfortable (stud.io, LDD, whatever) to Alyssa.Harrington@LEGO.com with the subject LEGO Masters Models. We're looking to move super fast, so please send me any models by Sunday, November 24. Fans whose models are selected for production with receive appreciation (bricks for your time & effort) + credit (in any form you wish) on site at the tour stops.

Offline lisaloveslego

• Lug.ie Team
Pictures:

Offline lisaloveslego

• Lug.ie Team
There is quite a bit of skepticism about this request on the LAN, so if anyone wants me to raise a question just let me know.

Below I’m sharing some points that were already brought up:

On 11/16/2019 at 7:07 PM, Alice Finch ArchLUG said:
Can you please let us know what terms of use would be, such as will it be purchased or borrowed, when would it be returned, terms if the model is damaged or destroyed or lost, what credit will be given to the builder, who will retain IP rights to models, etc. These are all good things to know from the outset.

Hi @Alice Finch ArchLUG - The models would be built by the tour staff based on your design. Fans whose models are produced would get appreciation sent to them. I can definitely ask about sending the models once the tour ends.

On 11/16/2019 at 7:13 PM, Joel Hoornbeek said:
Since the request is for digital models, there's nothing to return.

The question about the IP rights of the model is a good one.

Thanks for your Q @Joel Hoornbeek -- I'll edit the original post to clarify that there can be no third party IP (no Marvel, DC, etc).

On 11/16/2019 at 7:15 PM, Anna Bitanga said:
Looks like they want instructions but the IP rights is crucial to nail down. It seems to be FOX who is making the request so tread carefully.

Good question @Anna Bitanga and @Kale Frost -- I'm an artist myself (although a terrible brick artist, you can ask anyone in AFOL Engagement) so I understand the concern when putting art out "into the wild." It's especially true for you all as copy cats are eager to steal and rip off your brick built designs and the tour would expose your work to a lot of people and I want to believe that 100% of them would love to interact with your art, respect your art and not steal your design and claim it as your own.

As far as Fox owning or monetizing your designs, that's not the case. These designs would be explicitly labeled and promoted as fan designs since this it's celebrating LEGO Masters (like you all) after all. That being said, I'll still reach out to Fox to get official legal copy to add to my original post. Thanks for bringing this up!

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Limerick
A spider or a snail could be something I'll try ,might have a rainbow tint due to lack of a majority of colour and bricks, is a photo acceptable

Offline Tom a.k.a. eastawat

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Kildare
As members of the Lego community we have the unique advantage of a shared global unit of measurement (studs) and yet they still want to measure the models in inches. Digital models. To be measured with a ruler.

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
This is my spider from my limited spares box ,some assistance from my Daughter(She wanted to go bigger)!

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
I've sent it on to Alyssa ,it's sturdy enough but not totally kid handlable ,there's wheels under to move and my Daughter tested it -moves well but small hands take the legs off too easily, I made a fly to keep the spider happy

Offline lisaloveslego

• Lug.ie Team
John that’s deadly!  Horrible but deadly!  It looks like an animatronic spider. Imagine a robot army of those things coming after you! 😱

PS I love that this is made out of spares too

lego