Author Topic: Great Northern Hotel  (Read 3906 times)

Offline Tom a.k.a. eastawat

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Kildare
Presenting my latest city MOC, the Great Northern Hotel. I've just finished adding the ground floor interior (hope to put an interior in the upper floors later in the year), but the exterior was actually finished back in September, I just never got around to taking proper photos of it.

It's a corner building, sitting on my curved street corner on the quays - here it is at the Culture Night exhibition back in September for context in its city surroundings:

A few exterior shots:

I believe the style is called Neo-Baroque or Edwardian. Some inspiration came from Wynn's Hotel on Abbey Street (you can see the ground floor resemblance here), some from this building on O'Connell Street, and some from this Lego hotel MOC on flickr.

The name came from wanting to use some kind of decorative piece on all the exterior pillars on the ground floor, and finding that these round compass tiles are both pleasing to the eye and relatively abundant on Bricklink. It's also a small homage to Twin Peaks, although the name is where the similiarities end between this hotel and the Twin Peaks one.

It splits in two down the middle so you can see in (after removing one tile and a small section of roof that just lifts off by the chimneys):

On the left side of the interior is the dining room and kitchen - the latter opening via a large sliding delivery door to the back:

The lobby is tiled with dark blue and white diamonds, leading to a reception desk, behind which is access to storage and a way through to the kitchen. To the right is the lift, access to the stairs, and a small lounge area.

This building developed out of my previous idea for a train station, which I scrapped in favour of something much less ornate (think Tara Street), to be built later in the year. I had already bought most of the pieces when I scrapped the idea, so this hotel was a great way to use the vast majority of what I'd bought.

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Limerick
Major build ,beautiful detail ,very decorative. Will the rooms be as miserly as the modular builds or will you make it look proportionate

Offline Tom a.k.a. eastawat

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Kildare
Planning for proper proportionate rooms!

I don't plan to fill out the entire interior, but at least do the rooms that you'll be able to see when it's split in half. And put in dividing walls where every room would be so that I can add lighting one day and light up some individual rooms.

First floor will be a function room and bar, floors above will be guest rooms.

Offline Patrick

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Cork
Love it.  looks fab Tom.

Offline sencer

• County: Outside Ireland
Wow I like the tablecloth most! Very clever detail!