Author Topic: How many sets do Lego make for an individual model?  (Read 9666 times)

Offline pillian

• County: Dublin
Fellow Lego Enthusiasts,

Hope ye are all getting through lockdown by building as much Lego as humanly possible.

Wondering if anyone would know how many sets Lego makes for each set. I'm keen to understand how limited certain sets are. For example, how many Lambo Síans, Bugatti Chiron, Porsche GT3s they have made.

While they feel like limited editions, that surely can't be the case. They are widely available until retirement. But after retirement? How many are likely to be available on the open market?

Apologies if there is a thread on here about this already, I'm new here and couldn't locate one.

Thanks in advance

Offline Tom a.k.a. eastawat

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Kildare
That's an excellent question that I was recently pondering myself.

You could make a ballpark guess if you could figure out the average set part count and the number of distinct sets produced per year (maybe count the year's sets on brickset and multiply by 2 to assume a 2-year production run) because according to Wikipedia they make 16 billion bricks per year. Although probably more small sets are made than gigantic Sian-type sets...

If your ultimate goal is just to gauge how readily available they are after they retire then maybe a better approach would be to look the number of sellers of comparable sets on Bricklink. Since the Porsche is already retired you could assume the other two's availability will have a similar number of sellers after a couple of years. But that availability will wane over time!

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Limerick
For every toy store that sells lego ,with the bigger sets   at a minimum of 1  per shop there's a lot of big sets but the amount that buy them now vs the amount that want them afterwards when there's no availability ....the paltry is already up for 400+ up from 140 .if course the value is best when unopened ie. buy toy and don't open it????

Offline pillian

• County: Dublin
Thanks both for your insight.

Yeah that's the info I was looking for @Tom, so I'll have a look over on Bricklink to see if I can gauge numbers that way instead.

It's tough to guesstimate how many sets are actually available post-retirement, to give an indication of rarity, etc.

And yes @John, complete madness - buying a toy (especially one that makes such glorious noise when you shake the box, like Lego) and not opening it !

Offline Tom a.k.a. eastawat

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Kildare
Interestingly I just noticed that Brickset shows the exact dates a set was sold on lego.com for, so those with a longer sale time will presumably have more sets available after they retire. The Chiron is at 2 years 4 months so far and the Porsche got a total of 2 years and 6 months over here (and 2 months extra in the US for some reason!)

lego