Author Topic: The No Particular Topic Topic  (Read 50705 times)

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Dublin
but it'll be great watching the kids getting knocked out by adults.

LOL This made me spit out my coffee

Offline lisaloveslego

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Wexford
Anyone watching Great Model Railway Challenge?!  It's actually quite good!

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Limerick
Like scalextric  I could watch it for hours  but unlike lego they're not so easy to put away,train track even worse. As bad as lego addiction is train could be an obsession

Offline Patrick

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Cork
Have you seen the new Technic Land Rover?
https://www.lego.com/en-ie/product/land-rover-defender-42110

Very tempted but I'm not sure how I'd sneak it into the house without being noticed :-)  it really looks fab though.

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
Lieber bucket anyone ,as with all technic,  highly desired but too highly priced, lucky me I've got corvette to build but does look holey or at least needs filling out

Offline Tom a.k.a. eastawat

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Kildare
Too rich for my blood unfortunately, a friend of mine keeps telling me he's going to buy it though, so I'm clinging onto hope that I'll see it in the flesh some time soon!

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
Arrive with cans in hand when he's about to open it , I'm not encouraging bush building but any chance to get your mits on lego

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
Anyone doing a Halloween display, I've got halloweenie stuff but can't find time to make a display, the C word stuff is packed away with the rest and with the advent calendar makes an appearance

Offline hmccarthy

• County: Dublin
same here John, too busy hording wood for the bonfire! if i find time we might expand on a spooky graveyard we made last year!!

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
There's a great competition on brickset ,it's a puzzle with clues and there is a prize too,hope I'm right but it's a great teaser otherwise

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
In the Galway market is a stall with minifigs ,big ones and minifigs ,a Christmas feel to most of them,because of the tops in not sure if they're not-a-lego brand

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
The chief designer of the minifig and some sets in the pirate and castle and space lines passed away  R.I.P. Jens Nygaard Knudsen, died last Wednesday

Offline Tom a.k.a. eastawat

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Kildare
The chief designer of the minifig and some sets in the pirate and castle and space lines passed away  R.I.P. Jens Nygaard Knudsen, died last Wednesday

Very sad news. Set designer Mark Stafford posted these messages on Reddit from himself and fellow designer Niels Milan Pedersen:

On Wednesday former Chief Designer at LEGO, and creator of the LEGO Minifigure Jens Nygaard Knudsen passed away.

Jens hired my colleague Niels in the 1970’s and they worked together until Jens retired in 2000.

“It is with great sorrow and dismay that I must announce that an amazing man, the best colleague of many years, an unforgettable friend, the most loving husband, father, father in law and grandfather: Jens Nygaard Knudsen has passed away on 19th February 2020.

Among all those who have worked for, built with, and generally known and loved LEGO over the years Jens should be known and remembered as one of the most important designers ever. He was the man who created the LEGO Minifigure, he was behind all the classic themes: Space, Pirates, Castle, Trains and countless more besides. He was a leader and an inspired builder.

Few have ever had as much imagination and creative power as he and no one who has got to know, or simply met Jens will be able to forget his amazing lovely and positive personality. LEGO fans around the world they should know that perhaps the most important ever creator of the LEGO Universe is no more. Honour his memory. His equal no longer exists.

Jens Nygaard Knudsen, 25 Jan 1942 – 19 Feb 2020.“
Niels Milan Pedersen

I (Mark Stafford) only met Jens twice, on both occasions he stuck me as full of energy and enthusiasm for LEGO and designing toys. For example I took him to take a photograph in the LEGO Idea House and he noticed a classic-space model he had designed 30 years earlier was built wrong and just had to stop, get down on his knees and fix it! Jens was made Chief Designer after the success of the minifigure he designed and led the design team throughout the 1980’s and 90’s.

He designed the LEGO Minifigure, and had a hand in pretty much every LEGO theme between 1968 and 2000, including Classic Space (he designed the entire first wave and most of the later models too), Blacktron, Aquanauts, Ice Planet, all the Classic Castle themes, Trains, Pirates, Adventurers etc. He leaves behind his loving wife, three children, two grandchildren and over eight billion little plastic people infused with childhood imaginations.

Millions upon billions of happy childhood memories are owed to this man. Thank you Jens.

Please leave a comment, all of them will be forwarded to his family.

And, if you would like to do something in his memory: build a LEGO spaceship, he would have loved that. Hashtag it as #NygaardMemorialFleet and lets see what we end up with.

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
Might have a go at a spaceship with my excess pile

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
Built the Hidden Side lab, talking about app before we saw if we had accessibility, didn't impress my Princess when we couldn't play in screen  ,She wasn't even bothered about the dog and She's animal mad. I like it and must add it to the other science bits ,might even try vaccine experimentation

lego