Author Topic: 20 Years of Bricklink  (Read 4732 times)

Offline Tom a.k.a. eastawat

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Kildare
I expect a lot of us received the email from Bricklink about celebrating 20 years but for anyone who didn't, here's the announcement. They're inviting people to share stories of their experiences with them, or make MOCs and share them on their studio on the site. I'm sure anything posted there will get lost in the noise, so I'll share share my own experience of it here :)

It's incredible to think that it's 20 years old. I vaguely remember placing an order at some point in my late teens, so maybe 15 years ago, back when it looked like this:

Aside from six large old-style Technic wheels, I have no idea what (if anything) else was in that order.

Bricklink enabled me to emerge from my Lego dark ages about 4 years ago - there aren't many sets that I'm that interested in buying, but I picked up a few retired Technic sets that I liked. When I joined lug.ie, user Mike commented on my intro post and I realised he'd recently sold me set 8880! Once I took the plunge into starting to build a MOC Lego city, I started to meet loads of Irish Bricklink sellers and have a few regulars that I collect my orders from - some in Dublin, and one in Midleton who I now see every time I visit my parents :D

So thanks to all the Bricklink sellers who enable the rest of us! Would love to hear anyone else's thoughts or experiences on Bricklink.

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Limerick
Building all the sets that were in the box ,that had missing pieces , I think if I bricklinked an order i'd  have complete builds to sell as opposed to the sets with missing pieces that I'd rather someone else completed and I got my Wife off my case with extra lego that lives here taking up space and not paying rent. If we can get the LAN order I might do the completion. In fairness it's not more than 200 pieces and I could even fill out the minifigs.

• Lug.ie Team
Definitely sounds worthwhile bricklinking the remaining parts! There must be a couple of big sellers around Limerick too, so you might be able to cut out shipping costs.

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
I'll get a partslist going soon and see how far my finger is stuck, i must get motivated to do it but it also requires permission from Wifey as it'll be an electronic signature i can't hide, which is why I hate reserving anything on argos

• Lug.ie Team
I'm sure you'll convince her of the mutual benefits if it enables you to sell the complete sets and free up some space :)

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Dublin
My first BL order in 2008 was not delivered (from an Irish seller), so I avoided the marketplace for a good while after that!

It by far my main source now though, and issues are extremely rare.

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
Placed an order for 9 Euro ,40 ish pieces  .broke up 5 sets and logged missing pieces, there's a lot more missing but they seem more expensive , I'm probably not going to sort minifigs  and hopefully I'll get shot of them then

• Lug.ie Team
Placed an order for 9 Euro ,40 ish pieces  .broke up 5 sets and logged missing pieces, there's a lot more missing but they seem more expensive , I'm probably not going to sort minifigs  and hopefully I'll get shot of them then
Welcome to the cash sinkhole!

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
Must put barriers around that hole, I fell in again but I completed most of the brick needs , minifigs will break the bank so I'm satisfied without them, but Wife keeps pestering as to when they're going !

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
Two orders arrived but still more to order, wide still pestering to know when they're going,-as I complete them I'm getting more attached to my little babies, but they must leave