Author Topic: Queen Amidalas J-Type Nubian Royal Starship  (Read 8114 times)

Offline Spudh

• County: Kerry
Here is an interpretation of Queen Amidalas J-type Nubian Starship.

Myself and the kids were having a discussion on the coolest star wars sets and we ventured into our coolest ships from star wars. I loved the J-type from the Phantom Menace (that and the pod-racing are the main saving graces of that movie) and when we found there was no official set we sat down and built one.

I tend to try and build in as much play-ability as possible into my MOC's for the kids with a trade off in scale/realism.

I was particularly proud of the bottom as the landing legs fold up and blend into the contours of the underside. Don't know why I never photo'd it at the time but I'll add a photo of that when I get a chance, its a bit play worn from some battle or other at the moment so I'll need to find the missing bits to get a shot!

That's my son's Kylo Ren shuttle in progress with it at the time.

I'm not overly fussy about colour coordination (my kids are totally oblivious in their builds so I don't labour on it) in my playable builds but I do like symmetry as a minimum if I can find the bits.

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Dublin
Great build Spudh.

Particularly like the landing legs. Certainly looks to have great play-ability with all those opening sections.

Your son's shuttle was coming along nicely there too.

Offline Chris Hastings

• Star Wars and Bionicle nerd, maker of rubbish mocs
  • County: Antrim
I love both of these! Your sons shuttle is actually more accurate than the official lego one because of the wing angle, lol!

lovely work on the shape of the nubian ship too, i think that the use of the transblue rock peice in that way is fantastic. It seems a no brainer for Nexoknights to do that sort of technique but I cant remember if it actually has or not.
Chris Hastings - Inspired But Tired

Offline Spudh

I love both of these! Your sons shuttle is actually more accurate than the official lego one because of the wing angle, lol!

lovely work on the shape of the nubian ship too, i think that the use of the transblue rock peice in that way is fantastic. It seems a no brainer for Nexoknights to do that sort of technique but I cant remember if it actually has or not.

Thanks for the comments,

The blue rock piece was kindly donated by my daughter from her Frozen Elsa's palace, most of the taper pieces came from a Millennium Falcon.

On the shaping of the Nubian ship, that was a technique my best friend and I 'invented/developed' back when we were kids (no internet in 1982!!). He was into boats and I had been trying to do a Magnum PI Ferrari 308 when he/we came up with that contouring method. It revolutionized our scope of what we could do, I remember him building an awesome black speedboat (think Miami Vice) and I cracked my Ferrari obsession.

My eldest son's building has blossomed lately. After we did the Lancaster together he went off and built a Mosquito on his own and did a great job. I'll put together some photos of both when I get a chance. His wings on the shuttle change angle using a worm gear. My younger son subsequently got the official model but my eldest was quietly chuffed when he found out that the wings didn't move like his version.

Offline Chris Hastings

• Star Wars and Bionicle nerd, maker of rubbish mocs
  • County: Antrim

Thanks for the comments,

The blue rock piece was kindly donated by my daughter from her Frozen Elsa's palace, most of the taper pieces came from a Millennium Falcon.

On the shaping of the Nubian ship, that was a technique my best friend and I 'invented/developed' back when we were kids (no internet in 1982!!). He was into boats and I had been trying to do a Magnum PI Ferrari 308 when he/we came up with that contouring method. It revolutionized our scope of what we could do, I remember him building an awesome black speedboat (think Miami Vice) and I cracked my Ferrari obsession.

My eldest son's building has blossomed lately. After we did the Lancaster together he went off and built a Mosquito on his own and did a great job. I'll put together some photos of both when I get a chance. His wings on the shuttle change angle using a worm gear. My younger son subsequently got the official model but my eldest was quietly chuffed when he found out that the wings didn't move like his version.

Ha that sounds awesome!

Yes please share the pics of the Mossie I love aircraft of all kinds not just Spacey ones :P
Chris Hastings - Inspired But Tired

Offline Spudh

I got a bit of help re-building the Nubian this evening so we took some photos of the underside.

A few more of my sons shuttle too.

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Dublin
Both looking great. Thanks for sharing.

lego