Author Topic: Alternative Builds Competition (31087)  (Read 13275 times)

Offline Lug.ie Team

• Lug.ie Team
Happy Christmas everyone.  We are nearly into a new year and we are hoping for a much better one.  Here at Lug.ie, the admins are busy planning what we can do next year to make it more enjoyable for all.  You are no doubt aware that we are embarking on our first Lugbulk next year, but we are also looking at different ways our community can interact.  We are hoping to move from some Zoom meet ups to real meet ups as the vaccine gets rolled out but are also planning some great competitions and super prizes this year. 

One of the competitions we are thinking of is an alternative build of a Lego set.  The admins are going to do a dry run using the set 31087. https://www.lego.com/en-ie/product/dune-buggy-31087 The rules are very simple:
 - Only pieces in the chosen set can be used
 - It must be your own design
 - One entry per member
 - Closing date is the 3rd January 2021 at midnight
 - Winner gets chosen by a members vote (poll) at the end

This is just a bit of fun, with no prizes this time, and any member is welcome to participate if they wish.  If you have the set, you can use that or get the parts list from brickset:
https://brickset.com/parts/in-31087-1.  Builds can be physical or using stud.io

Looking forward to a great 2021!

About the Lug.ie Team Have a question or need help? email us at hello@lug.ie

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Limerick
Not an easy challenge with limited parts but creative use of what's available can yield fab creations

Offline Patrick

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Cork
Nice build John! I agree, limited parts is much more difficult. I’ll post my attempt later

Offline Aidan

• Lug.ie Team
Hi all

Here was my attempt. This is in my head a UN scouting vehicle. the blue and white colours are theirs I believe.

Was a challenge and hope ye like it.

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
The black pipe could be tracers or nine detection

Offline Patrick

• Lug.ie Team
While the lads were being very grounded with their road and off road vehicles, I chanelled my inner Benny and went further afield .... Spaceship!!!!  Strongly recommend giving this a go.  Very challenging with a limited number of pieces but a whole lot of fun.

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
Spaceship!!!!! In all grey the imperial fleet could have a new destroyer

Offline Patrick

• Lug.ie Team
Spaceship!!!!! In all grey the imperial fleet could have a new destroyer
Help me Obi Won! I’m picturing Benny at the helm of a star destroyer... that would be a great storyline for the Lego Movie 3

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
Could be a plot ,get the promo people on to this!

Offline wallyjarek

I haven’t this set.
Can I use parts but different colours?

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
As long as the pieces are the set pieces colour doesn't matter ,it probably would look better if you could have a more uniform colour scheme ,but the set colours here are part of the challenge. The actual model doesn't fit with city and a minifig looks like a baby in an adult buggy or quad. The plane isn't that great either but that's CREATOR theme!

Offline wallyjarek

Thanks John
Have thousands of bricks but not all in specific colours.

Offline Patrick

• Lug.ie Team
I haven’t this set.
Can I use parts but different colours?
The more people the merrier and looking forward to seeing your creation with the limited parts Jarek.  Can’t wait to see what people come up with next year when we do it for real!

Offline Tom a.k.a. eastawat

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Kildare
I've decided to go down a different route - this isn't a mode of transport, unless perhaps you're a piece of sawdust.

A cordless drill (rendered from stud.io), using 87 parts from the 147 available:

Edit: I must have accidentally deleted some parts from stud.io, because when I went to build this for real I found some extras. Here's a slightly updated version:

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Dublin
You can make what you will of this but my initial thoughts were Earth 3021, a bleak world ruined by human activity represented by the tree made of car parts and pollution spilling into a stream. Alternatively you could imagine the trees are Fake Plastic Trees that suck up carbon dioxide at super levels and the liquid spilling into the stream is to convert micro plastics to biodegrable form. Hope you like it :)

lego