Author Topic: Lego City Update  (Read 5445 times)

Offline Brictronic

• County: Dublin
Hi Everyone, I just uploaded my first video of the city layout I've been working on to YouTube. Here's the link;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLOFeFZY4mA&t=13s&ab_channel=Brictronic

I'd welcome any comments you have and I know I'll need help with the terrain and other bits and pieces as I continue the build.

Offline Tom a.k.a. eastawat

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Kildare
Looks great! Nice use of sensors and various electronics - any other electronics planned? Lighting/traffic lights or anything like that?

What are your plans for the terrain?

Offline Brictronic

Hi Tom, thanks!

Yeah, I'm planning an automated level crossing and (Hopefully) some traffic signals at the junctions. But I think motorising the Haunted House is my first priority. I had it connected but the motor spins just too fast and the drop tower doesn't have the effect I'd like.

As regards the terrain, I'm a novice, so a lot of tiles for footpaths etc with some trees / shrubs dotted about but I need to build a cliff wall from the bottom level to the upper level and that's going to take some time. 

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Limerick
Very jealous ,hope you've a chair for that space cos I wouldn't leave that room. Love the split levels and loads of room for expansion.

Offline Brictronic

Thanks John!

Yes, the city is actually in my home office, well the desk and chair are regulated to a small corner!! It's a challenge sometimes to leave the room to be honest:-)

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
The large mountain pieces would fill out a lot and some people use duplo to support or fill   areas ,maybe they'll be in the LugBulk. I've dreams of a room but as it is it's boxes in every room which isn't impressing my Wife. If I won the euro millions id have a Lug house

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
Super video, thanks for sharing, Neat trick with the copper tape on the RC tracks. Was it tricky to apply? Would like to know more about how those sensors work, a great idea.

I recognise the 8723 cargo depot ;)

• Lug.ie Team
As regards the terrain, I'm a novice, so a lot of tiles for footpaths etc with some trees / shrubs dotted about but I need to build a cliff wall from the bottom level to the upper level and that's going to take some time.

You could always simplify it with a bit of a city wall, or if you felt really adventurous, combine cliff and wall into one, like here: https://youtu.be/UWFklmVTikQ?t=273 - ignore the part where he says it was extremely tedious and difficult work and it took much longer than he anticipated :D

I'm sure LUGbulk will come in handy too!

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
An outer walk around area and full access to the centre is an ideal set-up, raised area is impressive but filling out is sheet labour, train enthusiasts have it easy with wire mesh , plaster and paint

Offline Brictronic

Super video, thanks for sharing, Neat trick with the copper tape on the RC tracks. Was it tricky to apply? Would like to know more about how those sensors work, a great idea.

I recognise the 8723 cargo depot ;)

Hi David, yes, that's the cargo depot :-) I'll have to modify it to allow for the locomotives to pass underneath the crane and cargo. That's a job for another day.

I used Kraftex tape, image attached, about € 9 on Amazon (Pre-Brexit) and that was enough for the entire layout. It's very easy to apply, see a video here: https://youtu.be/chq8i7I3XWs

The sensors work using Arduino code for which I had zero experience but the videos by this guy: https://youtu.be/gFDe3nqLHl4 really really helped. All in, I think the automation cost around € 100. However, I did buy additional 3D printed switches for the points from TrixBrix and changed the Arduino code to operate them instead of the switches with the 9V motor as in the YouTube videos. The signals are also 3D printed from TrixBrix.

Offline Brictronic

You could always simplify it with a bit of a city wall, or if you felt really adventurous, combine cliff and wall into one, like here: https://youtu.be/UWFklmVTikQ?t=273 - ignore the part where he says it was extremely tedious and difficult work and it took much longer than he anticipated :D

I'm sure LUGbulk will come in handy too!

Hi Tom, yeah, that's the idea I kind of has in my head, I know it's going to be fairly tedious but the finished product will be worth it! (I Hope)

Offline Brictronic

An outer walk around area and full access to the centre is an ideal set-up, raised area is impressive but filling out is sheet labour, train enthusiasts have it easy with wire mesh , plaster and paint

I used to have a Hornby train set and was going down the route of a model railway but I loved the bricks more and wanted to combine both interests. Modellers do have it much, much easier!!

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
Any recent updates , I just wanna see a layout  ,I'll be putting the video on loop

• Lug.ie Team
I've been following the channel, there have been a few videos recently!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL-QTLoVaxfclAe3gpF96Pw

Hopefully Brictronic comes back around the forums to give us more in-person updates :)

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
Thanks for investigating, I watched the shell station build ,the quality is great and a pause to do it yourself if needed is an option