Author Topic: Lego building at home  (Read 7196 times)

Offline ph3n0m

I know it might be asked and answered but still...:)

What's your set up at home for building your set - flat tray on your knees, or do you kick the family out and use the dining table

Personally I did use the dining table, but am looking for ideas for any better building location solutions in the home (aside from the floor, but thats really if I want to go full on nostalgia)

Offline hre1d

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Antrim
I've a small upstairs room where I do most of my building, consisting of IKEA furniture, a table, desk drawers and display units.

The table above is 200cm x 60cm, so has more than enough room to build/sort bricks etc.  I'm also planning to buy another table (100cm x 60cm), and create an 'L-shape' design to fit across the side wall (more display room means more LEGO) ;-)

Offline ph3n0m

Ahhhh very nice!

Offline Eamonnbilly

• County: Donegal
Hitting ikea soon, anyone recommend what storage units and desks are good for lego building and storage.

Offline hre1d

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Antrim
Hitting ikea soon, anyone recommend what storage units and desks are good for lego building and storage.

The image in my previous post is the ADILS/LINNMON combination Linky

But I replaced two of the legs with the ALEX drawers, like so:

And I also have white KALLAX display unit too, set on it's long side Linky

In all, cheap and cheerful, and I personally prefer the minimal design.

Offline Eamonnbilly

• County: Donegal
Thanks, looks good, was thinking the same myself. Too many options in ikea and was getting a headache thinking which idea is better!!

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Limerick
Biscuit boxes all the way, lego is frowned on and not really tolerated

Offline Royalridge

• Grant
  • County: Dublin
So far I've managed to get away with a small foldable picnic table or the dining-room table.  Will be using the dining-room table for the next couple of builds.

As for storage, I've two of these https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/storage-furniture/cabinets-sideboards/detolf-glass-door-cabinet-black-brown-art-10119206/ and another one ordered and on the way.  I was told I wasn't allowed any more Lego until we had the third display cabinet. :)
Currently typing on a Lego keyboard (honestly, I am!)

Offline lisaloveslego

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Wexford
Kitchen table here!  I am incredibly lucky (or maybe unlucky) to have a room for Lego in my house - ah the good old Celtic tiger days - but its upstairs, and I'd get lonely up there on my own so I stick with the kitchen table. The Lego room is for my town layout.

I Store all my Bricks in plastic tubs, and keep them in 3 of these:
https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/storage-furniture/drawer-units-storage-cabinets/helmer-drawer-unit-on-castors-purple-art-40427034/

Because they're on wheels I can wheel them into/out of the kitchen as needed.

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
Biscuit box got  the sack ,,,literally ,a play\toy  draw string bag and 2 seriously sore knees and strained eyes , just like when I am.....was a kid, a friend have me her brother's lego -lots of instructions and played with\but minded sets   yes lots of missing bits but I have a Simpson's house and Kwik mart  i must dispose of

Offline Philip

• "I love my Brick"
  • County: Kilkenny
I use a couple of Ikea "ADILS/LINNMON" tables 120x60cm for building on, eyesight is not great anymore so I have them near a window for better light.......

I have several of these IKEA display cabinets for storage but nowhere near enough!

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
Easy access but doesn't seem to be fully dust proof, but sure fine way to display and if sturdy enough could be moved for public display ,good job

Offline Philip

• "I love my Brick"
  • County: Kilkenny
Not 100% dust proof but been using it for about 5 years and barely any dust inside. All the more reason to take the lego out for a play, ahem dusting......

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
Good ole dust ,a great reason to handle bricks