Author Topic: Star Wars sets  (Read 23273 times)

Offline Ew35

Hi all! I was wondering if those of you who are into Star Wars could tell me of your favourite sets. I'm building a collection and my method is generally to either find an LXF file for them or to find instructions online (I believe there's a page on the Lego site for them), that way I can order the pieces from Bricklink. It's much cheaper to use bricklink to build discontinued sets as the prices become almost extortionate for older sets, as I'm sure you all know.
May the brick be with you.

Offline hre1d

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Antrim
Hi @Ew35,

I'm a massive Star Wars fan, and this has followed into the LEGO World.  Now, my favourite set, I'm not quite sure. My wife bought me the Ulimate LEGO Star Wars guide for Xmas, and after flicking through each page, it's quite difficult to distinguish what my favourite is.

I too am building a collection, and I've recently done what you've said.  I've had my eye on a set (or half the set) for quite some time now, but just can't jusitfy the price tag so...

1. I sourced the instructions and parts on Rebrickable.
2. Imported the parts list into Bricklink.
3. Sorted the parts on what I needed, and ordered up.
4. Parts arrived.

The image below should give it away.

I've almost completed the build, so I'll post up finished images soon!

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Dublin
I'd hazard a guess that it might be the Millennium Falcon but I am really not sure. I like the Star Wars theme for all the grey bricks more than anything else. That said I would have a soft spot for Darth Vader (role model after-all) and classic looking stormtroopers.

Offline hre1d

• Lug.ie Team
I'm afraid not David, although it's very much related to Darth Vader (not saying anymore) ;-)

As above, I'll hopefully have the build finished this evening, and will post up the completed piece.

Offline poo699

I tend to use brickowl for parts and for instructions for older sets either letsbuilditagain.com or peeron.com have a good selection , is that set 8017 darths tie fighter your going to build

Offline Ew35

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm thinking it might be Vader's Tie also :)

Offline hre1d

• Lug.ie Team
I tend to use brickowl for parts and for instructions for older sets either letsbuilditagain.com or peeron.com have a good selection , is that set 8017 darths tie fighter your going to build

Correct, it's Vader's Tie Advanced from 75150.  I actually prefer this portrayal instead of the 8017 set, I think it looks much more in proportion.

The finished piece, resting with a very basic stand.

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Limerick
I have Vader's Transformation to open (trying 1 set per month) I like the bad guys more(too late for life of crime as a reality) ....they get such bad press

Offline Ew35

Correct, it's Vader's Tie Advanced from 75150.  I actually prefer this portrayal instead of the 8017 set, I think it looks much more in proportion.

The finished piece, resting with a very basic stand.

I have 8017 myself, but I'm thinking you're correct about the proportions. I might see about getting it myself :P There's a fantastic topic I found months ago that contains an lxf file for pretty much any set you can think of. Its below if anyone is planning on purchasing pieces for an older set. Much cheaper than buying it at retail.

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/41226-key-topic-official-lego-sets-made-in-ldd/

Offline hre1d

• Lug.ie Team
I have Vader's Transformation to open (trying 1 set per month) I like the bad guys more(too late for life of crime as a reality) ....they get such bad press

Yes, I would like to pick this up too, it's not bad value considering the mini-figs included. I loved this scene in Revenge of the Sith!

I have 8017 myself, but I'm thinking you're correct about the proportions. I might see about getting it myself :P There's a fantastic topic I found months ago that contains an lxf file for pretty much any set you can think of. Its below if anyone is planning on purchasing pieces for an older set. Much cheaper than buying it at retail.

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/41226-key-topic-official-lego-sets-made-in-ldd/

Thanks for the link.  Yes, I only wanted the Tie Advanced from 75150, as I'm all things Dark Side :-)

Offline poo699

Out of interest out much did the parts cost you

Offline hre1d

• Lug.ie Team
@poo699 £29 for all parts, including postage. 

I forgot to purchase the sticker pack for it, approx £0.50, so I plan adding that to my next Bricklink order.

I didn't purchase the Darth Vader minifig from 75150, think it's approx £8 on it's own.

Offline Chris Hastings

• Star Wars and Bionicle nerd, maker of rubbish mocs
I'm a massive lego star wars fan its so hard to pick a favourite.

The one I want most at the moment though is the Resistance Bomber, it looks so detailed and displayable plus I love the ww2 bomber design of it.

Favourite set I own is probably a tie between the Rogue One y wing because of its level of detail considering its price and also one of my fave Star Wars ships and also my Mon Calamari Home One set which has my all time favourite Rebel ship the green A-wing!

I love TIE's as well especially looking forward to the Han Solo one but I really wish we could get an updated Interceptor or Bomber, the older sets are charming but I really want to see updated ones that match the new TIE colour scheme andw design language.
Chris Hastings - Inspired But Tired

Offline Tom a.k.a. eastawat

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Kildare
There's a fantastic topic I found months ago that contains an lxf file for pretty much any set you can think of. Its below if anyone is planning on purchasing pieces for an older set. Much cheaper than buying it at retail.

What a great find! Thanks for sharing!

Offline Aidan

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Cork
my favourite SW set is captain rex's at te, 75157. my biggest SW set currently, although that death star is calling me in a big big way.