Author Topic: Building site  (Read 14555 times)

Offline Patrick

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Cork
A six wide truck would deliver more concrete, love the re-bar poking out ,get that graffiti kid to vandalise the boards too

Completely agree John.  Here's one for you David ... in the Cork colours too :)

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Dublin
lol

I can't deny that big trucks can look good six wide. That said ... 4 wide are better!

Offline conor

• County: Wicklow
This is awesome. Love the progress pics.

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
Thanks Conor.

And here's a little further update.

Did some work on the crane and finally added a cab with operator. Needs some work as somewhat dangerous with no back wall!

Added a waste shoot with skip and some safety barriers to some of the floors and found a use for some yellow LEGO rubber bands I came across somewhere I can't  remember.

I built a microscale version of what the building is supposed to look like when built so I could make an advertising billboard. The print quality isn't great but I'm happy enough with the effect. Would like to find a way of printing better quality stickers though! Will do a version 2 in any case as the number of square studs office area is 3350 (I did the maths after!).

Well hope you like progress. I'll post some more pictures when I do some changes.

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Limerick
This model could be for real architects ,suspicious of this 

Offline Patrick

• Lug.ie Team
Love it!  i really like the skip ... tempted to go dumpster diving ;-)

What are you using for printing your stickers btw?  Is it just avery type labels?  Would like to print some off but I find they are nasty to bricks!

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
@John you'll change your mind when you find out that no space has been allocated for a lift or stairs, never mind fire escape!

@Patrick, yes, using Avery ones. So I take it you get bad residue with these if you need to take them off? I haven't used them before so have no experience with any problems it might result in the long run. I would hope there is some way to wash any residue away if needed but might involve some liquid solution..

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
Small update..

Tweaked the hoarding (new blue paint) and added more wooden posts so its stronger.

Added a few baseplates (16x48) to allow for a new section of roofed hoarding to protect passing by minifigs (how thoughtful!). Also enabled me to extend the main road, include a pedestrian crossing and make a small cul-de-sac lane which will be useful for construction vehicles/portacabin.

Hope to finish it off tonight. Main challenge now will be to break into some of the floors (it's not modular) and add in headlight bricks to allow for minifigures to be posed walking. Should've done this during the build and it will be a bit of a pain.. life lessons..

Well overall hope these are improvements.

Offline Patrick

• Lug.ie Team
Really like the improvements.  Any chance of a close up of the inside of the roofed hoarding?  Just want to see how its all connected.

Offline Taylorbrick

• Moc builder of fire vehicles/stations.
  • County: Down
This is a fantastic moc soooo much detail in this. Love it.

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
Thanks Taylorbrick, glad you like it!

@Patrick, sure. This image should show you how it's put together (poorly). The roof is connected on one side and rests on the other. Nice a flimsy, accident friendly, insurance company unfriendly. On the other hand the side panels fix snugly into the empty 1x1 brick hole.

As regards roof strength let's just say I wouldn't suggest figs jump up and down on it.

Offline Patrick

• Lug.ie Team
Thanks David. I couldn’t figure out how the side panels were connected to the posts ... and they’re not!  I need to look at your snot road technique. Opens up a world of possibilities.

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
So it's more or less finished now.

Made some final changes and just added some figures and scenes.

As always there's room to add some more bits and I'll likely make a second cement mixer and maybe a more 'streamlined' 4-wide version of Patrick's neat tipper truck for the rubble. I would like to try to print a couple of small Post No Bills poster on the hoardings and see how they look and pick up some more Dark Blue Grey fences and this little decorated tile which would have been perfect as the safety warning at the right of the hoarding door. I do actually also need to put in a hoarding wall along the back which is bad news for my depleted supply of white tiles.

Just to note, I did experiment with some scaffolding but due to the dimensions of the footpath and building it would have had to be 3-wide to fit and so after some attempts I abandoned it as it didn't really look good. Might see if a better one can be added in somewhere else in future but I suspect it better try on another building site.

Any critiques, suggestions and comments welcome. Hope  you enjoyed the updates as much as I had sharing them.

The construction company logo is the jumping frogs. Just because its a blue tile.

I might look to replace these shoots with a white or another colour version at some point, just to add a splash of colour, not that LBG is bad or anything

Would like the 1x1x2 cylinders used for the streetlights not to have cutouts...

Fixed the previously inaccurate future office area and modded the microscale version for this new advert.

Company logo

Finally can get that Welder to work! Also you can look down the dry riser.

Practical joker?

Fact. All tower crane operators end up with glasses due to eye strain despite in cabin cameras. Just made that up..

The view from above. Please make sure your figs are not afraid of heights before looking down.

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Limerick
Everything is awesome except for the 4wide truck, it has a modular set feel to it ,could work well with the hospital set and play out some current affairs, better moc  a courthouse!

Offline Patrick

• Lug.ie Team
Everything is awesome except for the 4wide truck ...

LMAO

6 wide I tells ya 😜