Author Topic: Irish Rail Class 141 diesel  (Read 308 times)

Offline Tom a.k.a. eastawat

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Kildare
I've been wanting for a while to design an Irish Rail diesel of some sort, in the old orange livery. I considered a few options:
  • The 001, old 201, 113 and 121 classes, which I quickly dismissed as they're so old I've never seen them
  • The 141 and 181 class, with distinctive narrow mid-sections - too narrow for a battery box
  • The GM 201 class, still in service, but with 6 wheels on each bogie instead of 4, making them very difficult to work with for train motors and difficult to scale to a length short enough to navigate standard Lego curves

I settled on a 141 class. Worst case, it doesn't need to be motorised and I might be able to push it with some motorised rolling stock; best case, I might invest in a 9v train motor and convert my plastic track to 9v with copper tape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRogkroM9Rc

Here is the result! It's 7 wide (plus a little bit, as the orange tiles along the bottom of each side stick out by half a plate thickness).

It wasn't possible to get the thin upper white stripe to continue along between the windows unfortunately, due to the use of some SNOT techniques, and I decided not to tackle the challenge of a brick built CIE logo - it's been done before but I think it would be impossible to do right without severely plagiarising!

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Limerick
Is that digital or real

• Lug.ie Team
Digital for now! Might get around to building it next year, depending on how other projects go.

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Limerick
That and carriages ..you'll be busy and nursing sore fingers

• Lug.ie Team
I have an idea for some accompanying freight wagons... to be revealed when I've finished the designs!

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Dublin
Super build, well done on this. Love the colour combination.

lego
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle