Author Topic: First city after return from the dark age  (Read 7590 times)

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Dublin
Here are some photos of a city layout I had between June 2006 and April 2009. I returned from my dark age in 2006 and started building a city first with all of my original parts. It wasn't long before I found myself in Smyths buying large numbers of boxes of bricks which introduced a large number of new or previously rare colours, namely orange, light blue, green. Incidentally with my first drop-in to Smyths  (Jervis Street) I saw they had a LEGO Wall, albeit small, and sadly the manager told me it was on the way out. Next time I dropped by it was gone.

As with my childhood building philosophy which was entirely based on the principle of "saving bricks" to make a more expansive looking city the first months saw a city emerge that was very similar to how it might have looked when I was a teen. As brick supplies improved buildings moved further  away from the 'back-less' style of sets although those on the periphery still kept this feature (for play-ability of course!).

I've put up a few more pictures on Flickr to give a better picture of how it evolved and capture some of the 'suburbs'.

Apologies in advance for the poor photo quality, there were lighting and shaky hand issues in addition to the dodgy building.

2006 June

2006 10 Oct

2006 December

2007 February

2008 April

2008 July

2009 04 Apr

Offline poo699

This is very good indeed have you still got this assembled

Offline dmt

whats the big building in the background?
i assume its a football pitch?

what did you use to build the walls?
im looking to build a prison

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Dublin
This is very good indeed have you still got this assembled

Sadly, no. This city ended as shown in the April 2009 photo, in a destructive way. But on the positive side I have a new city in the works.

whats the big building in the background? i assume its a football pitch?

Yes, it is an attempt at a football stadium. Most the walls were made using the large castle window panels. There were also quite a lot of Sand Blue 1x4 bricks used all which was probably the most useful part on the aforementioned LEGO wall in Smyths at the time.

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Limerick
Cool layout but my Wife likes the attic conversion ,it would be my favourite doghouse

lego