Author Topic: Project Imperial Star Destroyer (Aggressor) by Raskolnikov  (Read 32568 times)

Offline hre1d

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Antrim
So where do I begin…  I suppose a quick overview and credit to the designer, Raskolnikov. Thank-you for designing some an awesome MOC.

Details (copied from Rebrickable)
- 15310 parts
- Interior includes bridge, barracks, canteen, conference room, and more.
- Hangar carries two folding TIE Fighters.
- Press a button to launch probe droids.
- Turbolasers rotate in unison by turning one of the main engines.
- Model features an original structure and design
- Easy to remove top panels for (relatively) quick access to the interior
- Weight: ~27 lbs (12.25 kgs)
- Length: ~37 inches (94 cm) (i.e., approximately the same length as set 10030)

Rebrickable linky.

--

I first glimpsed my eyes on this beast late last year, and have always been drawn back to it over on Eurobricks.

Having talked myself in and out of the project so many times, mainly due to the financial and time commitments required for sourcing 15,000+ parts, and also, whether or not I had the skills to follow it through. 

So with that being said, I was browsing eBay (SW LEGO of course), and came across a listing for all parts required for the first section (Book 1) of the ISD.  I struck an excellent deal with the seller, and secured the first 3132 parts (all new LEGO) for the build. 

Upon receiving the parts, most of which where connected together (pain in the butt), I sorted through and counted each part with reference to my custom Rebrickable list.  To give credit where it’s due, the seller sent EVERY SINGLE part, with no shortages at all. 

All Book 1 parts sorted.

Finally, instructions purchased and ready to build.  Having had a quick peek through, it's definitely going to be a challenge.

Wish me luck!

Offline John

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Limerick
I was trying to imagine that weight ..    Woosh ability 0 build\display 1000000, that's an awesome project unequally impressive results

Offline Patrick

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Cork
Good luck!  Thats some build your embarking on.

Offline Eamonnbilly

• County: Donegal
Looks unreal!!! Your LEGO sorting is beautiful may I add

Offline Patrick

• Lug.ie Team
*you’re.  Before I get attacked by the grammar police 😉

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Dublin
Wow that is impressive Houston and your sorting even more so. Looks like some busy days ahead, time to stock up on building food and drink supplies. Hope you have somewhere in mind to display this when its done. 15,000 parts is monstrous. Can you share what were the most common parts?

Offline Aidan

• Lug.ie Team
Oh my god. I think I may need to give my bank card to herself to stop me following in your footsteps.

Will.need to see in the "brick" when ur done.

Offline hre1d

• Lug.ie Team
First update… I’m about 20% into Book 1, and it’s been fantastic so far.  The amount of hours spent in designing this must have been colossal, I have been so impressed.  It’s been really enjoyable, and sorting the parts before building is a must (highly recommended if anyone ventures the build).

I was trying to imagine that weight ..    Woosh ability 0 build\display 1000000, that's an awesome project unequally impressive results

Thanks John! Yep, zero woosh ability, but should be very easy on the eye once finished.

Thanks Patrick.  I’ve only rekindled my love for LEGO in the past number of years, and always wanted to build something huge, so I think this ticked the box.

Looks unreal!!! Your LEGO sorting is beautiful may I add

Thanks Eamonn.  I do like to footer and sort out parts.  As above, the build has been so much more enjoyable with all the parts sorted.

Wow that is impressive Houston and your sorting even more so. Looks like some busy days ahead, time to stock up on building food and drink supplies. Hope you have somewhere in mind to display this when its done. 15,000 parts is monstrous. Can you share what were the most common parts?

Thanks David, I do have a special place for it, although I’ll have to rejig my display room slightly, and I still have to build 75192, as I haven’t broke the seal on the box yet.

Sure! Of the entire parts list, the most common part is the LBG 2 x 4 tile, I think it’s in the region of 430 or so.

Oh my god. I think I may need to give my bank card to herself to stop me following in your footsteps.

Will.need to see in the "brick" when ur done.

My wife has been great in terms of LEGO, very lucky man! Absolutely Aidan, if I get to the finish line ;-)

Offline hre1d

• Lug.ie Team
Quick update... 70% into Book 1.  My aim at the weekend was to complete both side structures and join these together.  The join itself was straightforward, and with some wiggling, the studs came together nicely.

I've started to gather the parts for Book 2, but I'm in no rush, and have enjoyed taking my time.

Offline Patrick

• Lug.ie Team
Are all the parts at the start for book 1?  Build looks great.  I'd love some space in the house for building but kids and a dog ruined that :)  At the end of the day, the theme tune for Bosco comes on ... tidy up, goodbye, goodbye, thats all we have time for today...

Offline hre1d

• Lug.ie Team
Are all the parts at the start for book 1?  Build looks great.  I'd love some space in the house for building but kids and a dog ruined that :)  At the end of the day, the theme tune for Bosco comes on ... tidy up, goodbye, goodbye, thats all we have time for today...

Yes Patrick, all parts in the images in the opening post are for Book 1 only, just over 3100 parts. 

Book 2 has approx. 3000 parts also, along a number of stickers, including the main sticker from 10188 (First Death Star), which I've recently found out is quite expensive (and the instructions state that I will need 16 of these).  The cost of all 16 is eye-watering, and I'll probably end up going with a couple, to add those interior details.

Also had to mock up a quick stand in the images above, as the structure wasn't supporting itself, and putting pressure of the hinged section, and inevitably breaking off.

Offline Patrick

• Lug.ie Team
... including the main sticker from 10188 (First Death Star), which I've recently found out is quite expensive (and the instructions state that I will need 16 of these).  The cost of all 16 is eye-watering, ...
Quick look at brick link and I see what you mean! €80 for the 16 is saucy.  Anyone know how to print your own stickers?

Offline hre1d

• Lug.ie Team
€80 is the cheapest I've found too, and then basically the price doubles. I will most likely buy a couple of sheets, and use them on the prominent interior rooms for detail.

There is a new YouTube video from Beyond the Brick, which displays the designers fleet of Star Destroyers.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKGaeZY8oeg

Gives a good overview of the completed build.

Offline David

• Lug.ie Team
  • County: Dublin
Those Technic pin connections look great. I assume it is pretty sturdy?

Offline hre1d

• Lug.ie Team
Those Technic pin connections look great. I assume it is pretty sturdy?

David, the Technic aspect is fantastic.  Haven't had much time this week to work on it, about 15 minutes yesterday evening, which involved further structure support at the front join, so yes, it's very study.  Once the other joins are added, along with the engine section, I think it will be pretty robust. 

lego